I am baffled. Come to think of it, I have felt that way for...oh I'd say....the last year and four months. Since Emma's diagnosis. But this last week I have been particularly baffled. Emma's BG will be fine all day, and then between 8pm and 3 am her BG suddenly shoots up. It has never done this before. I have been up non stop this week chasing the MOST stubborn highs I have ever seen. I have changed pump sites, opened new insulin, given injections...I have no idea what is going on! I can give a correction and check her two hours later and her number will be the same. Then after about 3am it slowly comes down and she is usually on the high end of normal by the time she wakes up. And I say "dammit" all the time because I am so grouchy from being up all night. So today could I really reprimand HER for saying it to me when she heard me say it four times this morning? I digress.
So, my more experienced D warriors - do you have any tips for me? I guess I need to raise her basal for those hours but I am nervous because that is when she historically goes low. Could she be having a growth spurt? Is it her pancreas finally sputtering out? Has this happened to your child?
Keystone First Denial - Fighting Back Part 2
6 years ago
would you believe we have been going through the same thing the past week??
ReplyDeleteJust like you, I am scared to adjust because justin is known for the night time crash.
Drives you crazy right???
My guess would be a growth spurt. I'd up her basals. But I wouldn't be surprised if her basal needs came back down again in a few weeks. We seem to bounce back and forth here.
ReplyDeleteI am going for growth spurt too. I would up her basal from 8pm to 3am and then lower her basal from 3am to wake-up. Do just tiny increments until you have it right. Adjust - wait two to three nights, then adjust again if needed. Keep going until you get there.
ReplyDeleteI know your frustration! Hang in there!!! =)
Yup, Growth spirt...if this has been happening for more than a week...it isn't a site problem. I would up the basals and keep a close eye on her...good luck!!
ReplyDeleteWe've been there too. Same exact pattern. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteUp up up with the basals :)
ReplyDeleteOoooo, but I know what you mean!!!! I hate overnight changes, but it must be done.
I'd start with basal changes from 6p - 9p. Up a notch...then wait to see where the spike shows up next.
Hopefully you'll get a few nights of sleep before the next round.
BASAL increase! Like everyone else said. I just didn't want you to think I was "ignoring" you - LOL. I too would start with the 3 hour increment Wendy is suggesting. Start with small increased increments on your basal setting. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteJust experienced this big time with my G. Growth hormones up the BGL at night - it's growth spurt time! Up the basals.
ReplyDeleteSounds familiar - that double guessing what A's 10 pm blood sugar would be. Yes we upped his basal between 9 and midnight and things are definitely better.
ReplyDeleteSounds like growth! We JUST went through a similar thing with Addison having to raise his basal between 9pm and midnight..a time when normally he needs LESS!! I am always nervous about making these changes but whenever I see a number doing the same thing 3 or more days in a row I adjust! Our increase worked like a charm..and then it didn't and we had to back it off again. A CONSTANT BATTLE!!! Like Reyna said..we start with a very small adjustment and go up from there!
ReplyDeleteIs there comfort in consensus? I'm saying growth and increase the basals too.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
I was going to say growth spurt, but I guess I'm the last to chime in here. :) Good luck and keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteWe went through the same thing this summer, only to realize Grace grew an inch in 3 months! Yup... growth spurt. FYI - Grace's lasted a LONG time. About 8 weeks worth of crazy numbers. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHi Amanda! Thank you for stopping by my blog...I will be staying up tonight catching up on yours! I wish I had some advice for you, but judging from what I've seen of these awesome moms, you will get some great help. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteAmanda...I can't believe your story! Having Emma be diagnosed right after you had a baby - wow. You are my new D-mama hero. If you can handle that...I think I can handle this. :)
ReplyDeleteWe were just told on Friday at the endo that a lot of children under ten need more insulin from 9pm-12am and then less throughout the rest of the sleep hours and that the dawn phenomenon doesn't occur consistently with them until after puberty. I thought it interesting and for the past few nights that increase in basal from 9-12 and decrease from 12-6am has helped us a lot throughout the day even...as odd as that sounds.
ReplyDelete