Monday, August 2, 2010

Holy Macaroni

I just tested Emma's BG and got a 501.

"There must be some mistake!" I thought. I washed her hands and tested again.

556.

Holy macaroni that's a high BG. Clearly her pump site must have gone bad, which is ironic because I SWAGed her lunch dose and worried that I had over bolused so I kept pushing food on her.

We were playing a board game when out of the blue she started crying and I thought she must be low...how wrong I was.

I told her, "I'm sorry your blood sugar is so high. It's my fault."

"Mom. It's just...it's nobody's fault. It's the pumps fault!" she finished with a big, triumphant smile.

Holy macaroni that's a cute girl.

11 comments:

  1. Those 500s are always shockers, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never expect that, do you? We had a 519 two weeks ago 2 hours after a site change. Yikes! We've never had a site immediately fail before, and usually go low after a change due to the new insulin. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic response from your brave baby! Having that calm, big-picture approach will serve her well. Thanks for your advice on the pump. I shall get onto it and introduce Frank to pictures this week. Big hello to Emma from Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that photo of her!!! She is one smart girl with great insight. BUMMER on the 500s, I hope she "sugared-out" after a correction.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet girl is pretty and SMART too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm dreading the first 500.......I hope Matthew has that good an attitude!

    And I hope it's a quick fix! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. she's so sweet!! <3 her answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have not seen 500+ *knock on wood*, but 5 weeks left till infusion site worries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, 500's are NOT fun. But she's right - it's not your fault. You've raised a smart little cookie, Momma! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's cute AND smart! It's never anyones fault! Always the pumps fault! :)

    ReplyDelete