Sunday, July 25, 2010

My New Party Trick

A couple of weeks ago I went to a little reunion of former college roommates. It has been about 10 years since we have all been together and we had a blast catching up. It was amazing to see how so much has changed and how I still feel like a 20 year old in a lot of ways.

When one of my roommates heard that Emma had diabetes she asked me how I knew. I listed off the symptoms and she started looking concerned. She told me that her nearly two year old son drinks water all the time and soaks through his diapers and wasn't gaining weight the way her other kids did. She said, "Maybe we were supposed to come here tonight and talk to you."

I offered to check his blood sugar right there - I had the meter in my hand from checking Emma's. She really didn't answer and kind of changed the subject. I offered again later and she still avoided the subject.

I left wondering if I had emphasized enough how important it is for her to get him checked - to talk to her pediatrician about it. Did I tell her how dangerous it is if he does have diabetes and it goes untreated? I don't have her contact info, but as I'm writing this I think I better try to get it and get in touch with her!

Then yesterday I went to a family get together with some cousins who were in town visiting. You know the drill - one of my cousins is worried about her 9 year old who is irritable and drinks a ton of water and still has accidents and we have an uncle on that side of the family who has Type 1 and now Emma too...so I tested him and he came in at 123.

I told her that is a normal number, but left thinking, "Who in the heck do I think I am? Running around checking people's blood sugar. I don't really know what I'm talking about. What if I told her everything was fine but really it wasn't...."

Do you find yourselves being the diabetes police? Checking people's blood sugar? Hopefully these people realize that I am a mostly crazy, sleep deprived person who has less than the usual amount of brain cells functioning due to living under more than normal amounts of stress for far too long and just talk to their pediatricians!

9 comments:

  1. Good post.

    Sometimes Matthew's friends want to check their sugar....at first, I thought...no problem....but now I realize how much those darn strips cost!!!

    Still...you are SO right to talk with people and tell them the symptoms. The sooner you find out your child has this disease, the better. I wish we had known earlier....

    I think you're doing great!

    Also....is that a new picture on your blog? (I usually read from the feeds.) Anyway, I love it and you look fabulous in green! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am bad about that too . my hubby got irritated when I told this lady about her 4 yr old that was still soaking pants and the mom did not understand it . she was in the ladies room and I told my husband what happened and he said "honey can you for one minute stop being the diabetes police " and I told him no I cant if I save one child then it was worth it . Im sorry I am one who believes god puts us where he needs us to be when he needs us there . I have always believed that .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new blog pic :)

    Ya know, I think you did the right thing with your friend. You offered and that's all you can do. I wouldn't push the envelope... she already has in in her mind or she wouldn't have asked you how you knew. Maybe you were the wake up call or confirmation she needed.

    And for family... you probably did what they were wanting you to do.
    Nothing wrong with caring for others :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With how easy it is to diagnose with just a meter, I'd rather test someone who had symptoms just to be safe. I'm surprised the first mom didn't take you up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohh yes I am a badge carrying diabetes police officer. I have even convinced myself a few times that our family cat has diabetes- I am only sort of kidding. (He drinks and pees so much and he gets crazy sometimes too!)

    I have talked to random strangers, family and friends about symptoms and signs. I have been worried enough to check my other two kids and my nephew. The symptoms for D can be subtle and be attributed to so many other things that I feel like the more people you talk to and the more awareness there is the better.

    When I looked up info online when I was so worried about T before he was diagnosed I read all about D and even though he had ALL the symptoms I attributed them to something else. If I had the opportunity to have spoken with a D parent and they had told me the signs and consequences I know I would have gotten him help sooner. I hope your friends little one doesn't have D, but I think you did the right thing telling her about the signs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let people think what they like! I try to drip feed information so that I don't get avoided in the street. Mostly I try to tell people how different Type 1 is to Type 2 and that it needs treatment quickly. It is hard to have such intimate knowledge of a condition and to have to deal with others not knowing about it at all. I was so in the dark just two years ago, it's like a different life.
    I just love the picture of you all. Such a beautiful family, and you look great on all that stress!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there! I think it's fine to test... we know how seriuos it is. We know D does not play around... How can we not be hyper alert to symptoms? I think you handled it all perfectly!

    Love the new pic! What a beautiful family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A-W-E-S-O-M-E Family Pic - you guys are GORGEOUS!

    Anyhoo...yep, yes...commit me for the offense mentioned above...I am a Diabetes Detecting, Glucometer Weilding, Lancet Cocking M-A-Ch-I-N-E. I am always doing this and I think we are pretty darn good gals for being guilty on this one. You supported your friend in every way you know how. Definitely follow-up with her...but you know "D"...if it is "D", unfortunately the truth with not escape them...especially in a young child. DKA develops quickly at that age.

    Love Ya girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tested any other kids blood sugar before, but if I were in a situation were a mom or dad were concerned I would definately offer! I guess for me it comes down to protecting the child and hopefully catching it before it leads to the ER.

    I wish someone had told me the signs and sypmptoms of D before my daughter was diagnosed, it was a scary time and I hate to think what may have happened if we waited even one more day to take her to the doctors.

    Good for you for putting it out there and offering...hopefully your friend will have her son checked out and he will be D-free!

    ReplyDelete