I've written before about my cute Gramps. He was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 30. Odd, I know. His wife, Ruby, is my last living grandparent. We call each other and chat diabetes sometimes. She's never told me, but she has told my dad that it is really hard for her that Emma has diabetes. She knows all too well what that entails. She's been alone since my Grandpa passed away in 1998.
Except for her dog. She has a dog named Bella that she got about 5 years ago. She is wild about the dog and spoils her rotten. And I'm so glad she has that dog for company. My Grandma came for a visit this past weekend and left Bella for four days. When she returned home she found Bella extremely ill and took her to the ER.
Bella has Type 1 Diabetes.
That's right. Her freaking dog has it too! For crying out loud! She told me she feels like she is caught in some kind of diabetic hell and that she is pretty sure my Grandpa picked that dog out and sent it to her so she wouldn't forget him.
The irony of it all is a little overwhelming to me...
Keystone First Denial - Fighting Back Part 2
6 years ago
Maybe grandpa picked out that dog because he knew she would know how to care for it. That is one lucky dog to have her :)
ReplyDeleteI know... irony still kinda sucks.
(((HUGS))) to Ruby and Bella. Oh the irony of it all. After we got Oscar, our Mini Schnauzer, we found out that that particular breed has a high incidence of diabetes...UGH. Can you imagine?
ReplyDeleteOh, wow. That's a tough one. I hope she can smile sometimes about it. Hugs to you all.
ReplyDeleteThat would be awesome! I have already gotten so much comfort and support from all of you blogging moms! It would not hurt my feelings at all to get "introduced". Thank you so much!!
ReplyDeleteAww...poor thing! I have a nurse friend whose dog had Diabetes, she had to give a shot in the morning and night.
ReplyDelete