Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Gramps

On April Fool's Day I always think of my Grandpa. He passed away on April 1 12 years ago. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when he was 30 years old.

I called him Gramps. He was funny and flirty and talked to everyone everywhere he went. He introduced me to Beverly Hills 90210 - before it was trashy, of course. The first time I ever kissed a boy I ran over to his house and told him before I told anyone else. It didn't seem strange to me that he had diabetes - he'd had it all my life. I was used to him watching what he ate and seeing his insulin bottles in the fridge and giggling in the background while he dropped his drawers for my Grandma to give him his insulin shot in his rear end.

My Gramps had pretty much all the bad side effects of diabetes that you can have: neuropathy, heart attack, eye problems. He spent the last few years of his life on dialysis and almost had his foot amputated but he passed away before that happened.

My brother and I went to see him two days before he died. When we walked into his room he squeezed my hand and said "Hi" and smiled and that is the last thing I ever heard him say. He died the next night when I was on the elevator in the hospital on my way up to spend the night with him in his room.

So when my husband called me on the phone after taking Emma to the pediatrician because we were worried about all her strange symptoms - I was in the hospital after just having our third little baby - he called me and said, "Emma has diabetes and they are admitting her to the hospital right now." And all I could say was, "No. No. No," because all I could think about was my Grandpa and the many struggles he had through the years and the long, painful time he had passing from this life.

Our diabetes educator was quick to tell me that it didn't have to be that way for Emma. That if we took good care of her those side effects wouldn't occur - no pressure right?! It is true that my Gramps didn't take good care of himself for many years - drinking and smoking and eating with abandon. So that comforted me, but I still had those bad memories with me.

This weekend, though, restored even more hope to me. My Grandma came to visit and she told me more about the care that was available when my Gramps was diagnosed. They didn't have glucometers at all, so they only used urine testing. They would find out what his sugar had been like an hour or more before, and she said that there was a hundred point variable in either direction. Even at the time he passed away they didn't have near the equipment available that we have now. She also talked about how when her mother was first a nurse in the 1920's, diabetes was a death sentence for children. They didn't have insulin for children and that was just it.

After talking with her I see how much progress has been made and hope for much more progress in the coming years. I truly see how it DOESN'T have to be that way for Emma. And sometimes I think I can feel my Gramps, watching over Emma and taking special care of her.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, this is so true. Living with diabetes today is so very different than years ago. Even since Caleb was diagnosed, three years ago, the increased availability of CGMs are making a difference. I am so thankful that Caleb has the tools available to him today and have every confidence that the nasty complications that we all hear about are not his inevitability.
    I am also hopeful that advancements will continue and it will only get better and easier.
    Hugs to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to be a new mom and have a newly diagnosed child. On top of your history of knowing first hand how devastating D can be. I have felt very fortunate to have had a "blank slate" with diabetes. I had no history with it when T was diagnosed. I only found out the scary stuff in little chunks of info in the weeks since he was diagnosed. I think if I had known everything it would have been much harder to deal with from the start. You are doing a great job and thanks for sharing your Gramps with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is watching over her. I believe this with all my heart. What a wonderful Gramps! Technology has come a long way baby. I have hope for a future with more amazing things to come to help our children and make their lives more normal. (((HUGS))) to you on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your Grampa is watching over her. The care has come so far and will continue to do so. Love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gramps sounds so cool...so awesome that you have those wonderful memories!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amanda,
    I just found your blog and wanted say hello. My son Addison, now 3, was diagnosed with Type 1 at 15 months old. We had no history of Type 1 in my family but my Grandfather had type 2. He died due to complications. My dad always tells me that he wishes that he had been more of an advocate for my Grandfather and that he had been given more /better information about keeping my Grandfather in good health. I miss him terribly and often think he is watching over me and my family just as I am sure your Gramps is watching over you.
    I am looking forward to getting to know you and your family!

    ReplyDelete