Thursday, March 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Emma!


Today is Emma's fifth birthday. We did a lot of celebrating and had a great day, but I couldn't help feeling slightly sad and teary all day long. I keep thinking of last year how carefree and easy everything seemed - we went to Chuck E. Cheese with her cousins for lunch and played and played and I didn't care if the pizza had gluten in it or how many carbs there were and I didn't have to plan for the pizza effect. It was just so EASY.
And it was just after her birthday last year that she started acting strange and I began to really worry that something was wrong with her. Hopefully I'm just sad since it's her first birthday since her diagnosis and I'll feel better next year?

15 comments:

  1. Welcome to the D Mom Blogger club!!! I am so happy to have you here! I'll let my friends now you have moved into the neighborhood. ;)

    Looking forward to getting to know you better! (((HUGS)))
    And Happy Birthday sweet Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)

    My daughter, Adalyne (Addy) was dx with T1 3 weeks after her 2nd birthday in 2005. She's 6 now and doing great! She was dx with celiac in 2008 and I was dx with celiac in 2009.

    Welcome aboard...you're sure to find lots of support from fellow blogging D Moms.

    Your family is beautiful.

    God is good all the time!

    PS -- If you're on FB, we keep up with each other there too. We also chat on Sunday evenings via MSN messenger. It's alot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and WELCOME!

    My name is Reyna. My son is Joe...he was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago when he was 3 years old. I remember his 4th birthday party...and yes, I cried because I was again grieving the loss of normalcy and trying to accept the "NEW" normal. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you his 5th and 6th birthday parties went better...the grief is still a small, nagging ache.

    You will love this circle of ladies...they are extrememly supportive. I am at betabuddies.blogspot.com and yes please join us on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi and welcome to the club you never wanted to join! I'm Penny, mom to Grace, diagnosed at age 6 in January 2009. What a crazy ride this is, huh?! You will find lots of support and friends here in D-Mom (and Dad!) land. Glad you joined us. Emma is a sweetie!!!

    Oh and by the way, I have 3 daughters and my oldest who is now 13, has autism. She has been both gluten and casein free since 2000. If you need any help with anything, just swing on by my blog and email me. Glad to help, I know it can be tricky sometimes.

    Be well.
    Penny
    asweetgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi amanda im cathy and I found you through Meris blog and Im a t1 dxed at 16 and am now 49 and have a t 1 son who is 26 and was dxed at 6 yrs old . So we all know what you are going through .

    ReplyDelete
  6. HELLOOO Amanda!! My name is Lora, my son Justin was dx'ed on 10-21-08 at the age of 7.
    He is now 9. I also have a 10 year old daughter(non D)named Leighanna.
    You will have to visit Wendy's blog for sure... she always posts yummy GF recipes(we are not GF, but I always share them with my friend whose daughter is).

    I look forward to "getting to know" ya :)You can visit me over at http://mydiabeticchild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda,

    My name is Tracy, my son Zane was dx on 7/10/08 at 18 months old. He is now 3 and we are using the Animas Ping pump and have a Dexcom CGMS as well. (you can read about that on my blog)

    I also have a non-D daughter, Savannah, she is 16 1/2 months.

    I am always happy to have found another D-mom! I look forward to getting to know you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda,

    Welcome to the community! I'm Heidi. My six-year-old son, Jack, was diagnosed with T1D two years ago. I also have an eight-year-old daughter and a four-year-old son, neither of whom have D.

    I'm new to the online community too, but I can honestly say this is a wonderful, supportive group. I'm so happy to have "met" these other parents, and I'm sure you will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amanda,

    I'm Jessica. My son Liam was diagnosed when he was three this past September. He just had his first birthday since diagnosis a couple of weeks ago, and I can relate all too well to what you're feeling this year. Oh, how things have changed.
    He's on the Omnipod now, since the beginning of March, which we really like.
    I also have a non-D daughter, who was a little over two months old when he was diagnosed. (Eight months now). Tough, but not as bad as a one day old!
    You can visit me at http://goteamliam.blogspot.com
    Looking forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Emma!!!

    Hi Amanda,
    I'm Chasiti and my 3 1/2 year old daughter Alivia was dx 5/20/09 when she was 2 1/2.
    My blog is
    http://ajsmommy82.blogspot.com
    For sure join us on facebook! Nothing better than chatting with another D Momma at 2am when you have a sick kid with ketones and a million questions about what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Emma and hi Amanda!

    My name is Joanne and I am mom to Elise, 2 years old, dx at 12 months. You can find we at www.deathofapancreas.com (I'm a non-facebooker).

    Looking forward to reading more about your family... mind if I add you to my blog list?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMMA!!!

    My name is Donna - my blog is http://azmotheroftwins.blogspot.com/

    Welcome to the club! I look forward to getting to know you and Emma and the rest of your family better! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amanda!
    Thanks for the nice comment on my blog! I take you already know a little about me so I won't introduce myself but to say WELCOME! I hope you find as much help, love, and support as I have thru this amazing group of women!

    Wow - girls almost exactly a year apart. Dx 3 days apart... yeah, our stories are a lot alike! I can't wait to get to know you!

    I'm on facebook - look me up!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Emma!

    Hello Amanda! I'm connecting with you through Meri...welcome. My name is Ronda and I have a daughter who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on 6/12/2007 at the age of two...she is five years old now. I also have a nine year old daughter who was diagnosed with Alopecia Universalis this past June (2009). I've just starting blogging...you can find us at http://autoimmuneisland.blogspot.com I'm also on facebook :-)
    I look forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amanda and Happy birthday to Emma!

    My name is Nicole and I have a daughter Cara who was 3 when she was dx a year ago Feb 13 09. You can find us at www.wecaralot.blogspot.com. We are Canadian so our BG #'s are a bite different but if you multiply by 18 you will find the US number.

    I look forward to reading more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete