Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Double Doo Doo Day

Today was a double doo doo kind of day. At breakfast I was unsure of how much insulin to give Miss Emma. It was right on the borderline and she tends to go low since she is still honeymooning (will THAT ever end? I pray nightly that it will...). In the end I decided to just give her the full amount and then make sure she had a good snack in a couple of hours.

After breakfast she asked for her scissors, which she has been very responsible with. I gave them to her with the instruction that she not let her brother use them and went in the other room to read a magazine. And I quickly dozed off. My kids have been sleeping terribly lately and I am plum tuckered.

So I slept through giving Emma her snack (doo doo #1) and did not supervise small children with scissors (doo doo #2). I woke up to little M standing in front of me saying, "Mom. Emma cut me." My eyes flew open and once I ascertained that he was not bleeding my eyes wandered to his head. She had cut his hair to the scalp in at least 10 different patches all over his head.



I would love to say that I calmly explained to her about not cutting people's hair, but it was not so. After I completely freaked out at her, sent her to her room, and swept up M's gorgeous red hair (and some of Emma's too!) from all over the kitchen floor I heard her sobbing in her room and realized I never did give her that snack! I ran upstairs and checked her and she was at 67.

This was one of those days that I realize, once again, that with a child with diabetes, I don't have the luxury of down time - of not being on the ball all the time. Sometimes the pressure kind of gets to me!

She drank a juice box and immediately started crying saying that she had a tummy ache. That happened last night too - she was low, drank some chocolate milk and got a really bad stomach ache. Does that happen to your kids? I am used to her complaining of stomach pain when she is high, but not when she is low and then eats?



So we went off to Great Clips, where I had M and Emma's hair cut just a week and a half ago and had him checked out. There was no way to work around her fabulous cut job, so he is sporting a buzz. So I paid $20 - ten last time and ten this time - for him to be completely bald. Sweet.

4 comments:

  1. O.M.G. Love the accidental haircut story. BUMMER, but cute. I think all kids do this at least once in their lives.

    Sorry about the low. Don't beat yourself up about the nap. You needed it. It is a marathon we are running and it never lets up.

    Yes, Joe does get a lot of stomach aches...high and low. So far he has tested - for Celiac.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been spying on me? Because I SWEAR we could just swap out the characters and this would be the story of my life!

    FWIW, Addy cut her sister's hair last year -- gave her a half mullet! But I was the loving, kind, sweet hearted mother who laughed it off and chalked it up to a funny memory.

    Not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those stories that someday you'll be able to look back and laugh about... but it might be a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. Doo doo days are just that- DOO. He does look pretty cute with that buzz... Let's jat hope those days are few and far between!! Also- have not experienced te tummy ache but could it be that it's bringing her up so quickly that it's making her feel sick? Or the juice is too sugary? Maybe a carb that's not quite as fast- or pure sugar- would work without the side effects? Just wondering...!

    ReplyDelete