Today I almost put Emma in a coma. Okay maybe not really, but I gave her insulin with her lunch and then she took a nap. She doesn't usually nap but she is still trying to get over having an ear infection and that stomach virus so she took a nap in my room. I kept thinking that she was sleeping a long time and I had the feeling that I should go wake her up.
I went upstairs and said her name. She didn't move. I shook her shoulder a little and she still didn't move. I was pretty immediately panicked and started yelling her name and shaking her pretty hard. Her eyes fluttered open and then closed again. I ran downstairs and got the glucometer and ran back up and checked her blood sugar. It was 47, which isn't so terribly low. Sadly, we've had lower. But she still wasn't really waking up. I ran into her room and grabbed the cake decorating gel that I stuck on the shelf in her closet in case she was ever super low at night. Crap. I needed scissors to open it. I ran back downstairs and grabbed a juice box and ran back upstairs and frantically shoved the straw in her mouth and kept telling her to drink it and she kept crying and telling me "no". At least she was finally awake enough to cry.
We finally got enough in her that she started acting more alert, but it took hours for her to return to her normal perky self. I feel so bad when this happens. I know that I am doing my best with the knowledge I have so I don't really beat myself up about it, I just feel bad for her. And I so wish that she would come out of her honeymoon phase. The amount of insulin I gave her should have been fine, but with her still making her own we just never know. Maybe she'll come out of her honeymoon stage and I'll find out it is still totally unpredictable.
Who decided to call it a "Honeymoon Phase" in the first place? Anything less like a honeymoon I cannot imagine!
How scary! And I never have liked the term "honeymoon" either. Rather than making things easier, it generally just confuses you more. Diabetes is still very unpredictable, but at least you can rule out her pancreas functioning as one factor. :P
ReplyDeleteI am so with you on the "honeymoon" phrase Amanda!! There is so much to learn and figure out. I look forward to getting to know you and sharing in the highs, lows, ups, downs and in- betweens with you.
ReplyDelete