This morning I was reading Lorraine's post about her son Caleb meeting The Jonas Brothers. And I was thinking about how fun that must have been for him. And how Emma gets really excited whenever she sees them on TV and tells me, "Mom! He has diabetes too!" And then I just started crying. Hard. I felt the old diabetes sucker punch. Hitting me all over again. That feeling of, "I can't believe my daughter has diabetes. This is her life. How did this happen?" With nearly as much shock as the first day we found out. Sometimes it just sneaks up on me.
After I composed myself and got on with my day we stopped at the pharmacy. I LOVE my pharmacy. The people that work there are great - they remember everyone's names and are so friendly. I drive clear across town to go there, even though there are probably 20 pharmacies that are closer.
Today the girl who filled Emma's prescription for insulin asked me how I knew Emma had diabetes and I ran down the symptoms and asked her why she wanted to know. She told me she thought her 4 year old daughter might have it. I felt my stomach sink. Her daughter does have the symptoms and I encouraged her to get to the pediatrician today and tried to relay how serious the situation is. As I drove away I just wanted to cry for her.
Another diabetes sucker punch.
Keystone First Denial - Fighting Back Part 2
6 years ago
i just let out a heavy sigh...I know how those days are sometimes when D sneaks back up on you.
ReplyDeleteWe all have these days for sure.
ReplyDeleteI HOPE that mom gets her daughter checked out asap! How scary.
It seems I am hearing of a new child diagnosed every day. I don't like it. It makes me sick too. :( You may have been this mothers angel...just what she needed to get her daughter help before it got really scary. I am so glad you were there for her!
ReplyDeleteI hear you. Avery was dx'd April 27, 2009. Almost a year ago (and I see within days of Emma. It still hits me like that too sometimes. I have a feeling it always will. This disease hurts. I have moments when it's so normal. And moments when I feel like I've been punched in the gut and all my air is gone as hits me - AGAIN - that this is really our life and it's not going away. I feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Meri. You may have been placed in this woman's path for a reason. Let's hope so (if she does have it - but not hope that she has it!).
(((hugs))) to you!
Diabetes is a pro at sneaking up on me and giving me a sucker punch from time to time. Like Hallie said, some days I feel like things are normal and then others I feel like a ton of bricks has been dropped on my shoulders. The weight of it at times can feel unbearable, but it always passes and that reservoir of strength comes back up from wherever it was hiding to lift me through it.
ReplyDeleteAnd really, sometimes I think we all just need a good cry to let it out. I know I do.
Oh, those sucker punches are so tough! I know, I get them too. We all do. I hope it helps you to know you're not alone.
ReplyDeleteKeep us posted on the pharmacist's/pharmacy tech's daughter!
OH man...Yeah, please let us know about the woman's child. That is so heart wrenching.
ReplyDeleteI get the "sucker punch"...as we have embarked on this journey...things have gotten easier as time wears on...but all's it takes is one bad day, incident, a string of crappy numbers and I am right back to square one...crying and cursing this high maintainence beast...luckily, I bounce back much more quickly than I used to.
Have a great week!
I am new to your blog but felt an immediate compulsion to comment as I know that sucker punch so well. I gave up teaching a year after my son was diagnosed and had given up working hard way before that. An adult student from my most recent class that I abandoned mid-year recently e.mailed me to tell me her 9 year old son had just been diagnosed. I cried for her.
ReplyDeleteWell thank you for reading the post and I'm so sorry it stirred such emotion. :(
ReplyDeleteIt is so deflating the hear news of another diagnosis, and as Meri said, it seems to be happening every time we turn around. I hope it turned out okay for that family.